VirtualBox 5.1.24 recently released, is a cross-platform virtualization application that installs on your Intel or AMD-based computers, and runs on Windows, Mac, Linux or Solaris operat191ing systems. It extends the capabilities of your computer so that it can run multiple operating systems (inside multiple virtual machines) at the same time. Before we proceed on how to install VirtualBox 5.1.24 on Ubuntu, Linux Mint & CentOS 7, lets take a quick look at some of the features Virtualbox does offer us.
VirtualBox Key Features
- App allows you to run more than one operating system at a time. This way, you can run software written for one operating system on another (for example, Windows software on Linux or a Mac) without having to reboot to use it.
- Software vendors can use virtual machines to ship entire software configurations. For example, installing a complete mail server solution on a real machine can be a tedious task. With virtualization, such a complex setup (then often called an “appliance”) can be packed into a virtual machine.
- Can be used for testing and disaster recovery. Once installed, a virtual machine and its virtual hard disks can be considered a “container” that can be arbitrarily frozen, woken up, copied, backed up, and transported between hosts. It also comes with a “snapshots” feature, which allows you to save a particular state of a virtual machine and revert back to that state, if necessary.
- Virtualization can significantly reduce hardware and electricity costs. Most of the time, computers today only use a fraction of their potential power and run with low average system loads. A lot of hardware resources as well as electricity is thereby wasted
VirualBox 5.1.24 Changelog
- the mini-toolbar now works with recent versions of KDE / Plasma
- a potential crash when a VM with multiple screens is running in full screen / seamless mode fixed
- fixed initial size hints for guests which set intermediate sizes before responding
- prevent stopped screen updates or black screen on reboot in a multi-screen setup under certain conditions
- Linux / Mac OS X hosts more loading shared libraries fixed
- Do not depend on net-tools on newer distributions as this package is deprecated in favour of iproute
- make 2D video acceleration available for older Linux distributions
- make Fedora 25 and 26 Alpha work when 3D pass-through is enabled for linux addition
- there is no longer recommend removing distribution- installed Additions if they are updated to our guidelines
See virtualbox changelog for more info
1) How to install VirtualBox 5.1.24 on Ubuntu 17.04, Ubuntu 16.10, Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 15.10, Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 12.04
Note: Please note that for other distribution, you need to replace ‘yakkety’ with ‘xenial’, or ‘wily’, or ‘trusty’, or ‘precise’ when running the first command
sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian zesty contrib non-free' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list" wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add - sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install virtualbox-5.1
How to uninstall Virtualbox from Ubuntu
sudo apt-get remove virtualbox
2) How to install VirtualBox 5.1.24 on CentOS 7
- Add required repository as well as epel
cd /etc/yum.repos.d/ wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/rpm/rhel/virtualbox.repo rpm -Uvh http://epel.mirror.net.in/epel/7/x86_64/e/epel-release-7-9.noarch.rpm
- Now let’s install the required packages
yum install gcc make patch dkms qt libgomp yum install kernel-headers kernel-devel fontforge binutils glibc-headers glibc-devel
- Setup Environment Variable
----- Check what version of kernel you have on your machine with following command ----- ls /usr/src/kernels/ ----- Run following command to configure the env. variable. Also ensure the part points to the exact kernel version which you checked above ----- export KERN_DIR=/usr/src/kernels/<your kenel version here>
- Now install Oracle VirtualBox as well as rebuild the kernel modules
yum install VirtualBox-5.1 service vboxdrv start
- Start VirtualBox
ONET IDC thành lập vào năm 2012, là công ty chuyên nghiệp tại Việt Nam trong lĩnh vực cung cấp dịch vụ Hosting, VPS, máy chủ vật lý, dịch vụ Firewall Anti DDoS, SSL… Với 10 năm xây dựng và phát triển, ứng dụng nhiều công nghệ hiện đại, ONET IDC đã giúp hàng ngàn khách hàng tin tưởng lựa chọn, mang lại sự ổn định tuyệt đối cho website của khách hàng để thúc đẩy việc kinh doanh đạt được hiệu quả và thành công.